If you are looking for an indoor and outdoor app-controlled quadcopter with 7-10 minutes flight time, you want to consider the Parrot AR 2.0 Elite Edition (Sand). It is an excellent quadcopter for a beginner and has enough features for an intermediate pilot. This quadcopter is for age 16 years and up. While someone younger might be able to fly it, it is just a little pricey for the kids at that age as they tend to break things more quickly. The video is 720p HD at 30fps, this camera is good enough that you can post great pictures on social media, but it not really professional quality.
- Easily updates to meet FAA requirements
- Remote control quadricopter controlled using an iOS or Android smartphone or tablet
- 720p high-definition live video streaming & recording to smartphone or tablet while...
- Record & share videos & pictures straight from AR. Free Flight piloting app
One of the most important things about a camera drone is the ability of the drone’s flight control to provide a stable platform for the camera. The Parrot AR 2.0 Elite has a 3 axis gyroscope, a 3 axis accelerometer, 3 axis magnetomer and an extra downward facing camera. The downward facing camera and ultrasound sensors are used by the on-board flight controller to maintain altitude stability.
The Parrot AR 2.0 Elite is well designed for both indoor and outdoor use. Shells are EPP (expanded polypropylene), which makes them very resilient and durable. It comes with two shells, one for indoor use and one for outdoor use. The indoor shell has blade protectors and the outdoor shell does not have the blade protectors. We suggest that you use the indoor shell at first to save on the cost of replacement propellers.
Parrot AR 2.0 Elite Edition spec at a glance:
- Model: Parrot AR 2.0 Elite Edition (Sand) Quadcopter
- Quadcopter dimensions: 24 x 24 x 5 inches
- Price : in the $200 range
What you get with Parrot AR 2.0 Elite Edition:
- Parrot AR 2.0 Elite Edition Quadcopter
- One 1000 mAh Battery for the quadcopter
- One Battery Charger
- Two Body shells (1 indoor shell & 1 outdoor shell)
- 1280 X 720p HD video streaming
- Record flight video directly on your smart device to share quickly and easily.
- Video is 720p HD at 30fps
- Camera lens is wide angle (92 degrees)
- Use Director Mode to plan a flight path
- Use Absolute Control mode to control from your smart device
- This is an app-controlled quadcopter, use your smart device (any of the followings) to control this quad copter easily.
- Windows 8 PC or Tablet
- Nvidia Shield
- Myro Armband
- Google Glass
- Carl Zeiss Cinemizer OLED Video Glasses
- EPSON BT-200 Glasses
- Let you see the flight through the eye of the onboard camera
- Displays auto return home, takeoff and land, directional control and camera control (If you have AR Flight Recorder.)
- Plan your flight – chose starting point, set altitude and speed, destination point. (If you have AR Flight Recorder.)
- Displays battery status.
On Board Flight Controller:
AR FreeFlight app (the app that you run on your smart device.)
What you don’t get with Parrot AR 2.0 Elite Edition:
- Ground control unit (Not included). Use your smart device to control this quadcopter.
What Parrot AR 2.0 Elite Edition can do:
- It can shoot pictures (still or video) under your direct control
- It can follow a pre-programmed flight path
- It can do flips (forward, backwards or barrel roll)
- It can do “Return to Home” by continuous recalculation. (Only accurate to about 12 yards/meters)
What Parrot AR 2.0 Elite Edition cannot do:
- No obstacle avoidance
- No GPS Return to home
- No follow me mode.
- Range is limited to a little over 150 feet.
- No obstacle avoidance.
Scorecard – Parrot AR 2.0 Elite Edition (Sand)
|Flight Time & Power||Design||Camera/Video||Pricing|
Overall Rating for Parrot AR 2.0 Elite Edition : 9/10 for an app-controlled camera drone in the $200 range.
- Flight time is 7 to 10 min
- Maneuvers easily
- Easy to send videos to friend and post to social media
- First person view (FPV) of flight
- Full HD videos
- Shell is durable
- Can do flips (3 ways)
- Continuous calculation Return to Home (not very accurate)
- If you get the optional GPS Flight recorder, you get flight planning and GPS Return to Home.
- The use of smart phones over WIFI means that this quadcopter’s range is limited to about 150 – 170 feet.
Comparable model to consider: Parrot AR Drone 2.0 Power Edition
- Easily updates to meet FAA requirements
- Intuitive piloting through Smartphone/tablet control
- Automatic stabilization system for assisted control for indoor and outdoor flight
- Live video streaming and HD video recording
The Parrot AR Drone 2.0 Power Edition is an indoor and outdoor camera drone – it comes with one indoor hull and one outdoor hull. This is a RTF app-controlled drone, you only need to connect the battery, download AR’s Freeflight 2.0 app, you are ready to fly. The default flight mode setting is set for beginner skill. You can easily change the piloting mode (via the Freeflight app) to suit your flying style. If you are a beginner, you would love its flip and barrel rolls by just hitting a button.
The Parrot AR 2.0 Power Edition allows you to fly as far as 165 feet away. Two 1500mah batteries are included. The pressure sensor will automatically correct and maintain a steady position in the air even in wind speed up to 15 mph.
A quick glance at the spec of the Parrot AR Drone 2.0 Power Edition:
- Camera: 720P 30fps HD camera, wide-angle lens 92° diagonal.
- Flight Control: using your iOS or Android device.
- Connection: Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Live stream video
- Range: 50 m (165 feet)
- Flight time: about 30 – 36 minutes (two 1500mah batteries)
From the extended battery life of 36 minutes of flight time, HD camera, live video streaming to its intuitive flight control app, the Parrot AR 2.0 drone camera is definitely worth this affordable price point.
Quick Tip: If you have an Nvidia Shield portable gaming device, you can use it to control the Parrot AR Drone 2.0 Power Edition with its physical sticks.
If you want the Flight Data Recorder and GPS positioning features, consider the Parrot AR 2.0 GPS Flight Recorder
- Improvement in stabilization
- A new control mode: control by map
- View your flights in 3D on the AR. Drone Academy map
- Optional: Parrot AR 2.0 GPS Flight Recorder
- Main feature to add GPS based Return to Home features
- Key feature to add ability to do GPS position based flight paths
Summary: Parrot AR 2.0 Elite Edition (Sand) Quadcopter
The Parrot AR 2.0 Elite Edition (View on Amazon) is a great buy in its class and price range. It is easy to fly, FPV via your smartphone. The AR FreeFlight app displays functional status such directional control and camera control. It is easy enough to use for a beginner and has enough features for an intermediate pilot. It is well designed for both indoor and outdoor use, including two durable shells, one for indoor use and one for outdoor use.
The Parrot AR 2.0 Elite provides a stable platform for smooth videos via its 3-axis gyroscope, 3-axis accelerometer and 3-axis magnetometer. Its downward facing camera and ultrasound sensors are used by the on-board flight controller to maintain altitude stability. The 1280 X 720p videos look very nice when posted to social media. If you don’t tell them, your friends will see the video clips and think that you are flying a lot more expensive quadcopter.
FAA Registration required? Yes.
Software update required before flight? Yes. (Needed in US)
Remember to Fly Responsibly.