The Estes RTF Proto Z is our top pick for a kid under 10 years old to learn how to control his or her first drone. We have considered the age of the kid, safety, and cost of the quadcopter. The Proto Z is relatively safe to fly indoors as it is small enough to fit in your hand, and its lightweight airframe won’t damage your furniture.
- Easy to fly and designed for great indoor flights.
- 2.4 GHz controller allows you to fly with your friends.
- True Direction and Auto-Flip features allow fun flights for even beginning pilots.
- Bright LED lights assist with flight orientation, day or night.
Model: The Estes RTF Proto Z Micro Quadcopter
Price: Below $20 category
- What do you get:
- Estes RTF Proto Z micro Quadcopter
- Product dimensions: 9.6 x 5 x 2.6 inches.
- Weight 1.5 oz.
- Range: about 90 ft.
- Battery is a standard 110 mAmp Li po. (Battery not replaceable)
- Flight time: 7-10 minutes which is good for this price range.
- A controller
- A recharger and it can recharge in 30 – 45 minutes.
- Four extra propellers
- What you don’t get:
- Two AAA batteries needed by the controller
- No propeller guard. It is possible fingers will feel some pain (not cut) if there is an accident where little fingers and propellers meet.
- No camera, therefore no video feed.
- What this drone can do:
- It can move up, down, forward and reverse, and it can do flips. A very good first drone for a child to learn to maneuver using the control.
- What this drone cannot do:
- It cannot do photography or videography. No Camera.
- It can not fly autonomously
Check out our review series on drones for kids.